With the launch of its newly revised DRINKiQ.com, Diageo, the parent company of Guinness Nigeria,is advancing its commitment to give consumers greater transparency and help them to make more informed choices about alcohol as part of a balanced lifestyle. To this end, the company has significantly enhanced the nutrition, calorie and alcohol content information available about all its brands. This includes a breakdown of calories, carbohydrates and protein as well as, for the first time, detailing saturated fat, sugar, caffeine and sodium content. This valuable new information is now available on its responsible drinking websiteDRINKiQ.com.
DRINKIQ.comincludes useful new tools such as a simple to use ‘Drinks Calculator’, to help peoplecalculateand track their alcohol and calorie intake. It also providesresponsible drinking tips and advice on how food, age, size and gender affects how the body processes alcohol, alongside the enhanced ‘What’s in your Drink’ tool.
Today’s announcement builds on Diageo’s global commitment in March 2015 to start voluntarily providing nutrition and alcohol content information per standardisedserving on all its brands. In the first move to fulfil this commitment, the first shipment of Crown Royal labelled with macronutrient and calorie information was released in the US in October 2015.
Carolyn Panzer, Alcohol in Society Director, Diageo said:“As people become more and more interested in their diet and lifestyle choices, we need to play our part. We know that consumers want nutritional information about what they drink – just as they do with the foods they eat; they also want a clear and easy way to know how much alcohol they are drinking. We believe passionately in helping people to understand what’s in their drink and to make informed choices about drinking or not drinking. Alcohol is alcohol. There is no drink of moderation – only a practice of moderation.”
Key features of the new site include:
- An enhanced What’s In Your Drink section which details comprehensive nutritional, and alcohol content per serve information for all of Diageo’s brands,alongside ingredient information. This includes a breakdown of calories, carbohydrates and protein as well as, for the first time, detailing saturated fat, sugar, caffeine and sodium content.
- A new, simple to use, Drinks Calculator to help consumers easily calculate and track the amount of alcohol they are drinking per serving and how many calories they have consumed for a range of common drinks, instead of expecting them to do the maths.
- Tips on responsible drinking – including the chance to explore how food, age, size and gender affects how the body processes alcohol.
The site also includes the truth behind common myths around alcohol consumption – such as:
- “Spirits contain more alcohol than beer and wine”.In fact 25ml of distilled spirits (e.g. Smirnoff, Tanqueray) contains 8g alcohol, versus approximately 16g in a pint of lager using standard UK servings. Spirits also have fewer calories than wine or beer – 25ml of distilled spirits has approximately 55 calories compared to 125 calories in an average 175ml of wine or around 160 calories in a pint of lager.
- “Eating food means I can drink more”. In fact eating food only slows down how quickly alcohol is absorbed – it does not prevent it from having an effect on the body.
- “Drinking coffee sobers people up faster.” Coffee might make people feel more awake, but the alcohol still remains in the body and takes about one hour per one drink to process.
Sesan Sobowale, Corporate Relations Director, Guinness Nigeria said, “We are proud of the approach we have taken, over decades, to promote responsible alcohol consumption and help tackle harmful drinking. As part of our ambition to be leaders in addressing alcohol in society, we have set ourselves goals beyond our industry-wide commitments in our 2020 Sustainability and Responsibility targets for alcohol. Our revamped and relaunched DRINKIQ keeps us on track as we work towards the attainment of our sustainability and responsibility targets.
The new DRINKiQ.com is mobile-friendly and easy to use so that consumers can quickly access information about what’s in their favourite cocktail on their phone whenever they want.
The site is available in 24 countries and 12 languages, and has been designed to ensure content is tailored to the environment and regulation in the consumer’s location, particularly legal purchase age.