The Nigeria Police Force Headquarters on Wednesday denied that it withdrew its earlier invitation to the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, to appear before the Force Intelligence Response Team, in Abuja, to answer questions following his alleged involvement in Offa banks robbery and the gruesome killings of over 33 people in Kwara State by some political thugs loyal to him.
The police insisted that contrary to the claim by the Senate President that its invitation to him had been withdrawn, nothing as such has emanated from it.
The leader of the gang, Ayoade Akinnibosun told the media that they are Saraki and Kwara State governor, Abdulfatah Ahmed’s political thugs but that both politicians are not aware that they are also armed robbers.
Saraki had in a widely circulated tweet Tuesday said the police had withdrawn the invitation and asked him to instead send in a written response.
However, Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood during another briefing on the matter Wednesday insisted that Saraki going by confessional statements obtained from the suspects was culpable in the robbery and killings and therefore, has a case to answer though did not give him a timeline to turn himself in.
“The Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki is still under investigation in connection to the Offa banks robbery and the Nigeria Police Force will do everything possible within the ambit of the law to ensure that justice is done in this case.”
A joint session of the National Assembly on Tuesday passed a vote of no confidence on the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris as tension between the police and the legislative arm of government shows no sign of cooling off.