According to Wikipedia, a goal is a desired result that a person or a system envisions, plans and commits to achieve: a personal or organizational desired end-point in some sort of assumed development. Many people endeavor to reach goals within a finite time by setting deadlines.
It is roughly similar to purpose or aim, the anticipated result which guides reaction, or an end, which is an object, either a physical object or an abstract object, that has intrinsic value.
So, setting goals gives you long-term vision and short-term motivation. It focuses your acquisition of knowledge, and helps you to organize your time and your resources so that you can make the very most of your life.
These are some of steps that can help you to achieve your set goals in life.
1) Decide exactly what you want in each area of your life. Be specific!
2) Write it down, clearly and in detail.
3) Set a specific deadline. If it is a large goal, break it down into sub-deadlines and write them down in order.
4) Make a list of everything you can think of that you are going to have to do to achieve your goal. As you think of new items, add them to your list.
5) Organize the items on your list into a plan by placing them in the proper sequence and priority.
6) Take action immediately on the most important thing you can do on your plan. This is very important!
7) Do something every day that moves you toward the attainment of one or more of your important goals. Maintain the momentum!
Credit: Brian Tracy